Sunday 21 February 2010

The Rolls Royce

It seems I’ve done a disservice to the Machine. It’s not actually as old as we thought, probably by a good five years.
Before I made that discovery though I came across a rather upsetting blog. It featured the Machine – well, one of its siblings – being dissected, unscrewed and stripped down to the sum of its many parts.
Destroying the machine that creates… Be warned. It’s not pretty.
http://breakingyard.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-home-memory-craft-6000-x3.html
As far as I can make out the New Home Memory Craft 6000 – aka the Machine – was made circa 1984 so it’s actually nine years younger than me, a mere 26 human years.
In technology years that makes the Machine about a gazillion and yet it’s still going strong. At the risk of sounding rather aged myself they just don’t make them like that any more.
With four children and a cat to clothe Mum needed something reliable, and admitted to craving a Pfaff or Bernina - ‘the Rolls Royces of their day’.
After doing some research though, Dad found that New Home, an American company that merged with a Japanese company to become Janome, was highly recommended and the Memory Craft 6000 (what a name!) came with hundreds of different stitches, and an electronic memory to boot.
‘I can’t tell you how exciting it was,’ Mum said. ‘It was probably the first electronic gadget I’d ever had!’
It wasn’t quite the days of the mangle but there certainly weren’t any I-Phones, laptops, MP3 players… weird as it seems, back then a sewing machine was about as sexy as it got!
And you paid for that. The Machine cost around the £400 mark as a part exchange Dad thinks, a huge amount of money in those days. You can get a machine for a tenth of that price nowadays, and I’m sure they work perfectly well.
So do Skodas I hear. But I'd rather have a Rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment