Friday 26 February 2010

The Tape Measure


The Tape Measure concludes our trilogy although really it should come first. Before unpicking, you need to cut out the fabric. And before cutting out, you need to measure – see what I did there, linking everything up and tying it all neatly together in a beautiful circle, like Princess Leia’s hair going round and round and round and...
Not just any old tape measure will do. For a while I used S’s spirit level with its crudely marked inches. True, I always knew whether the fabric I was cutting was on a slope or not, but it didn’t necessarily tell me how wide or long it was. I then moved onto one of those metal tape measures that men always seem to have at least two of. They make a hideous screech when you pull them out of the case, and clank angrily while retracting. Not nice. No – what I needed was a practical, bendable tape measure – and one in a cute, furry case, as there was a danger, what with our grown-up scissors and all, that we might start taking life too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment