Monday 12 April 2010

Tea-tology


An apron that can’t be used is as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot. Which brings us nicely onto an equally ridiculous item: the tea bag bag. I think I may have invented this concept. In fact I’m sure I have, as the idea of making a bag to contain a box that in turn contains bags seems gratuitous at best, a Kafkaesque nightmare at worst, like being sewn into the baby blue knickers of a Russian doll.
That said, I’ve become rather fond of the tea bag bag. Yes it’s a tautology - resisting the pun, resisting... - but one with the best of intentions.
To make it I returned to familiar ground and adapted the draw string bag to give it a square bottom wide enough to hold a packet of PG Tips and padded sides for industrial strength. In a previous incarnation our little bag of tricks was used to hold that most wild and soaring of emotions: excitement. Now it was destined to house something far more humble yet universally warming.
‘More tea vicar?’
Why not. Why not indeed? A bit of fun, a bit of frivolity, a bit of function. And one in the eye for the fashionistas. Posh Spice may have £1.5 million worth of bags but I bet she doesn’t drink her Pu-er out of a tea bag bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment